Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Class #21 with Catherine

Well, this was the first class I had that I thought I might just pass out. I didn't of course. Today was the hottest it has ever been for me. It was difficult to try and relax in savasana and not daydream of ice cubes, diving into pools, and cold showers. Those fantasies wouldn't help me necessarily, but breathing did.

My triangle poses have been sucking lately. I had a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I was horrified. Not very beautiful, that's for sure. On the bended right knee side, I think I just am not bringing my elbow in low enough to my knee and on the other side it's just a mess. I have a real hard time bringing my thigh bicep parallel to the floor and my chest alignment is crooked somehow. Ugh. Always something new going wrong, or that I am noticing going wrong.

I am balancing better on my fingertips in toe stand. I am almost ready to bring up a hand. I am unsure if I am supposed to be sitting on my heel or not. I hear in the dialogue something about coming off the heel. If that is the case, then I got something to work on here for sure!

I am amazed/annoyed at the difference in the body when switching sides in the asanas. In one side of standing bow pulling pose, I am doing well and then when I switch it's like hitting the brakes. Every pose is like that. And each time, it's a different side that is better than the other. Very interesting.

I was reading in Bikram's book about how yoga is good for the mind. And it never occurred how when I come to class, I am almost the entire time thinking about what's going on in the here and now. It's wonderful. There are flashes during savasana of course about what other things I am thinking about on a daily basis but I always exhale those thoughts away. It's a good practice...meaning I am working on it ;)

So, my 21st class, I thought I was going to pass out but I managed to stick it out, sweat it out, and attempt all of the postures (even though some of them were way below par). I did it. And I'm proud of that.

1 comment:

  1. I think there are usually subtle differences between sides. Scoliosis made my right leg slightly stronger and the left is slightly more flexible. This means I am usually able to simply hold the pose longer on the right side, but once in a while, I really rock it out on the left. I think the more we do, the more subtle these differences are.

    And, yes! Exhale those thoughts away! This yoga is very much a meditation, one of the most profound and demanding forms of it, but if you get through a Bikram class, you've just meditated for 90 minutes.

    ReplyDelete